To: The Church Family – Coronavirus Update
I am conscious that this is a worrying time for many of us. I write to assure you we are seeking to do all we can to protect the vulnerable members of our community and follow guidance from the appropriate authorities, including the Government, Archbishops and our own Bishop (copy letter available on round table in church). At this time, key recommendations which we will be following at St. John’s include:
- Asking everyone to regularly and thoroughly wash hands
- No wine at communion except for the priest who will take it on everyone’s behalf
- No handshaking or other direct physical contact
- Collection plate will not be passed around, but available at the back of church
- Refreshments will be served by two people only to minimise the number of people touching the flask etc.
I and the Churchwardens are keeping in close contact with events and one another and will advise any further measures as things develop. If you have any concerns, please let us know. Finally, as Bishop Christopher reminds us, there are some positive things we can do at a time like this such as: praying for all those affected by the virus; caring for the more vulnerable amongst us – phoning or visiting them, where appropriate; and sharing with those who are short of supplies.
And let us remember Jesus’ words from Matthew 28:20: ‘And I am with you always, to the very end of the age’. God loves us, he is with us and he will carry us through.
With my love and best wishes.
Rev. Bruce Deans,
Further information is available at… www.churchofengland.org/coronavirus